Maria’s Big House of Hope is Show Hope’s flagship Care Center for orphans in China. Over the years it has made a tremendous impact in the lives of so many children, always providing the highest quality of care possible to each child who we have the honor of caring for.
After a season of renovations, we recently moved back into Maria’s! The staff and children were so excited to be back.
In honor of this, here are six unique facts about Maria’s you may not have known.
1. Maria’s is located in the city of Luoyang, in the Henan province of China.
Luoyang is recognized for being one of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China, and is home to more than 6.5 million people. It is positioned just south of China’s famous Yellow River, the third-longest river in all of Asia.
2. Maria’s Big House of Hope officially opened its doors in July 2009.
It has remained a loving, caring environment for waiting children ever since. This big blue house, along with the five additional Care Centers Show Hope supports in China, has cared for more than 2,000 children.
3. Maria’s Big House of Hope has more than 250 staff who work to provide for the full range of needs for the children who come into our care.
This unique space has been used to create a warm, loving family atmosphere. Along with attempting to create a loving, nurturing environment for children to heal, Maria’s also provides comprehensive medical care, including physician oversight, physical therapy, and surgical intervention.
4. In addition to the medical care the children receive, many of the children at Maria’s have now been able to enter loving families through adoption.
To date, more than 150 children once cared for at Maria’s have been adopted, with many others currently in process to also enter families through adoption.
5. Maria’s was named in honor and remembrance of Maria Sue Chapman, the youngest daughter of Mary Beth and Steven Curtis Chapman, Show Hope’s founders.
Years after Maria’s tragic passing, her legacy continues to transform the lives of children. That big blue house in Luoyang is proof of God’s redemption and of his ability to bring beauty from the ashes.
6. Every year, Show Hope helps to organize several short-term trips to explore God’s heart for waiting and vulnerable children.
The sponsors and students who sign on for these trips have the opportunity to volunteer their time and talents at Maria’s.
These are a few interesting facts and unique ways the staff at Maria’s is using this Care Center to care for children. But you don’t have to take a trip to China to help change the life of a waiting child.