While October is most commonly known for hayrides and jack-o-lanterns, it’s also a very important month of awareness. Throughout October, we celebrate Down Syndrome Awareness Month. We hope to shine the spotlight on the needs of orphans who are born with Down syndrome.
In each of our Care Centers in China, we provide care to many precious children with Down syndrome. It is a blessing to provide love and life-giving medical care to these beautiful little ones. If you would like more information about Down Syndrome and the needs of the children we care for, review the following list of facts and figures from the National Down Syndrome Society:
- Down syndrome occurs when an individual has a full or partial extra copy of chromosome 21. This additional genetic material alters the course of development and causes the characteristics associated with Down syndrome.
- Down syndrome is the most commonly occurring chromosomal condition. One in every 691 babies in the United States is born with Down syndrome.
- There are more than 400,000 people living with Down syndrome in the United States.
- Down syndrome occurs in people of all races and economic levels.
- People with Down syndrome have an increased risk for certain medical conditions such as congenital heart defects, respiratory and hearing problems, Alzheimer’s disease, childhood leukemia, and thyroid conditions. Many of these conditions are now treatable, so most people with Down syndrome lead healthy lives.
- Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades – from 25 in 1983 to 60 today.
- People with Down syndrome attend school, work, participate in decisions that affect them, and contribute to society in many wonderful ways.
- Quality educational programs, a stimulating home environment, good health care, and positive support from family, friends and the community enable people with Down syndrome to develop their full potential and lead fulfilling lives.
This month, please join us in praying for orphans with Down syndrome. Pray for kiddos like Nathalie and Zeke. Pray that the Lord will fill their little hearts with joy. Below, watch a video all about sweet Nathalie!