When it comes to living out the “pure religion” as defined in James 1:27, it can be difficult to know where to begin. In order to answer God’s call to care for orphans, you don’t have to have all the answers right away. Below, we provide five practical ways YOU can begin to care for orphans today!
1. Pray: Each month, we spotlight a child in our monthly prayer focus who needs your prayers. Orphans around the world are in great need, but remember – the Bible reminds us to pray BIG prayers! In Matthew 17:20, Jesus says, “For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” God hears our prayers and he welcomes us to join him in the work he is doing to bring peace and restoration to this world.
2. Mobilize Students: High school and college students can get involved with Show Hope through our student initiatives. The Red Bus Project engages students on college campuses. In a nutshell, it is a rolling thrift store that benefits orphans around the world! The Movement Club is a group of student-led orphan care clubs in high schools across the country. If you are a high school or college student, consider joining the Red Bus Project or The Movement Club on your campus! Or, take a leadership role in bringing one of these student initiatives to your campus! Sign up to learn more about starting a Movement Club at your high school. If you are a parent, friend, or loved one of a student, send them a link today to one of Show Hope’s student initiatives, along with a quick note about why you think they might be interested in getting involved.
3. Adoption Aid: One of Show Hope’s core missions is to provide adoption aid grants to families so that more waiting children can experience the love and permanency of a family through adoption. We currently have the organizational capacity to help TWICE as many waiting children, but lack the funding to do so. Don’t let money stand in the way of another waiting child receiving the opportunity to come into a family of their own! You can help us bridge this gap today by donating specifically to support Show Hope’s adoption aid grants.
4. Advocacy: Show Hope advocacy events are grassroots leaders who are raising funds and awareness in their communities by utilizing their talents, gifts, and passions to speak up for orphaned children. It’s easy to become a Show Hope advocate! Just choose something you love to do and turn it into an event. Then, register your project. Are you a gourmet cook? Host a dinner party to raise funds for Show Hope! Do you love to skate? Host a skate-a-thon to raise funds and awareness! Don’t forget to take pictures of your event so we can share them on our blog.
5. Sport Some Swag: Did you know we have a store? That’s right! You can show your support by sporting some Show Hope gear. Never underestimate the power of a good conversation piece – whether it’s a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, or even a water bottle! These simple, everyday items are a meaningful way for you engage others, show your support, and spread the news about the many ways we can all work to meet the needs of the world’s waiting children. Take a look around the Show Hope Store today!
Your everyday actions can have a meaningful impact on the lives of orphans across the world. You can lift them up in prayer, help students get involved, donate to adoption aid, raise awareness through anadvocacy events, or show your support through Show Hope gear. And that’s just the beginning! Keep exploring our website to learn even more ways you can care for orphans today!